Monday 25 March 2013

supercakes, powerbars & protein balls

"Necessity is the mother of invention."

A very wise person thought of that quote. Without doubt, the words apply here.

Anybody who knows me knows that I have always loved food. Those who know me well also know that I have always loved fitness and health. Growing up, I would always choose so- called "health food" whenever it was available - and I would eat a whole lot of it. But when I began to learn about nutrition in greater detail (during my Bachelor of Pharmacy degree), I realised with great dismay that most commercially available "health food" was not actually very healthy. Worse than that, many foods that are marketed as being "healthy" prey on the ignorant and uninformed, and may actually contribute to worsening health.

That rude awakening was survivable. All I had to do was apply my newly- acquired knowledge to make smarter choices when eating out or buying food.  And then something happened that further limited what foods I could (or would want to) eat - I was diagnosed with gluten intolerance. In other words, necessity was born.

Meals were not as big an issue - my passion for food resided not only in eating it, but also in creating it. Preparing breakfasts, lunches and dinners was - and still is - enjoyable.

My problem really lay with snacks, and also with days where I lacked the time (or energy) to create healthy meals. And that was when invention was born.

I realised that I wanted to create food that I could forget about immediately after I had eaten it.

Yes, read that sentence again if you must. I mean that I no longer wanted to eat foods that would then wreak havoc on my mind (and body), and leave me thinking endlessly about whether it would make me ill, or fat, or sick later on in life (by means of diabetes, high cholesterol or high blood pressure).

It has taken years of dreaming, experimenting and learning. But now, with great pride, I introduce to you the items available from the change room.

Supercakes, Powerbars and my Protein Balls are all snack- sized morsels that are completely free of gluten, refined sugar and anything artificial. Additionally, they are high in protein, low in carbohydrates and have a low glycaemic index. Every ingredient is included with purpose - they all benefit health in one way or another. They contain good fats that are known to speed metabolism, stabilise blood sugar levels, suppress sugar cravings, improve cholesterol levels and aid in getting rid of abdominal fat. Almost all of the ingredients are certified organic. And there are nut- and dairy- free options, as well as vegan options available. For enquiries about our products or to place an order, send me an email - mbpp29@gmail.com

Supercakes are similar to cupcakes, or muffins - at least in the way they look. I love to have them as a morning and afternoon snack - but I have also been known to grab a few for a breakfast-on-the-go. The flavours that are currently available are -
  • Cacao walnut brownie - a fudgey, chocolatey cake that contains crunchy walnut pieces.
  • Vanilla goji berry - a cake that melts in the mouth and reveals subtle vanilla and exotic berry.
  • Cinnamon fruit toast - a revelation for anybody who cannot eat real cinnamon fruit toast (i.e. those of us who are allergic to gluten).
  • Minted lemon & coconut - perfect for anybody who enjoys lemon cakes, with the quiet addition of fresh mint. I have been told that this one tastes "just like a lemon cheesecake" - and that can't possibly be a bad thing!
  • Cacao, apricot & coconut - inspired by the three classic pairings of dried apricots with dark chocolate, dark chocolate with coconut, and coconut with dried apricot.



Powerbars are perfect as a portable breakfast - but I do snack on them as well. They contain completely gluten free rolled oats, which make them similar to a museli bar or museli slice - except gluten free! Like my other products, they are powered by a high protein content, good fats and other highly nutritious ingredients.
  • SuperSeedy (n) - is exactly that. It contains organic chia seeds, hemp seeds, white sesame seeds, sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds. It is almost savoury in the way it tastes, because of the addition of a pinch of Himalayan sea salt.
  • Mixed berry & vanilla (n) - organic blueberries, mulberries, cranberries, goji berries, sour cherries and incan berries are combined with organic vanilla.
  • Mulberry pie (n) - a low fructose version of apple pie! This one contains warming spices like cinnamon, nutmeg and ground cloves.
  • Lemon & hemp seed (n) - a bar that combines that fragrant aroma and taste of fresh lemon with the goodness of organic hemp seeds.
  • Original (n) - a moreish mixture of seeds, organic berries, coconut and vanilla. It comes in two forms - one with, and one without nuts.
  • Triple- C G - an indulgent bar powered by organic cacao, coconut, cashew nuts and goji berries.



Protein Balls were created because I have always loved to snack on them after a workout - but found it difficult to find any commercially available ones that honestly boast a "clean" ingredient list. Rest assured that these ones by the change room are genuinely and entirely healthy.
  • Acai coconut 'cloud' (n) - a fluffy (hence 'cloud'- like) texture, and the wonderful flavours (and health benefits) of acai berry and coconut.
  • Mocha 'cookie dough' (n) - organic coffee and organic cacao meet in this seemingly indulgent protein ball.
  • Vanilla creme fudge (n) - a dense, creamy, fudgey, vanilla- y protein ball covered in organic raw cacao.
  • 'Berry ripe' fudge (n) - the goodness of organic cacao, with the addition of organic blueberries, goji berries, sour cherries, mulberries and coconut.


I am so excited by the foods that I am able to offer you via the change room, and am in the process of adding more to the list. I hope that you will join me on my mission for change. Honestly, eating cleanly and healthily does not mean you have to miss out.

Personally, I feel like I've missed out until now.

---

(n) indicates a product that does not contain nuts

No comments:

Post a Comment