Sunday 31 March 2013

an 'ayurvedic' buckwheat salad - with the lot!

I must confess, I don't know much about Ayurveda.

In all honesty, I think there are only two things I do know about it -
  • it is an ancient form of alternative medicine, and
  • the Ayurvedic approach to food is that meals should consist of as many 'tastes' as possible.
Apparently, meals that combine something from each of the five basic tastes - salty, sweet, sour, bitter and savoury - are more satisfying because they stimulate all of the taste buds. This means that cravings after the meal are a lot less likely.

While it isn't an approach to eating that I practice all of the time, I must admit that I do practice it often and I do enjoy it. I accept that it isn't for everyone - or perhaps it is just an acquired taste.

I've called this recipe an 'Ayurvedic' buckwheat salad because it contains a mishmash of flavours that follow this philosophy. I have it for brunch on a regular basis. Sometimes I substitute organic quinoa for the organic buckwheat groats, and I usually use golden sweet potato instead of my (rather radical) addition of fresh strawberries - but hey, I was out of sweet potato and those strawberries in my fridge really needed to be eaten. I enjoy the colours, flavours and textures that make up this meal - and if it gets rid of my cravings for junk food, well, that's just a bonus!

'ayurvedic' buckwheat salad - serves 1



  • 1/4 cup organic buckwheat groats, rinsed well under cold water
  • 1/2 cup water
  • large handful organic baby spinach leaves, washed and chopped roughly
  • 1/2 ear of corn, steamed
  • handful organic feta, cubed
  • handful organic pumpkin seeds
  • handful organic hemp seeds
  • 1 heaped tbsp organic flaxmeal
  • 1/2 golden sweet potato, oven- roasted and cubed (or in this case, 4-5 fresh strawberries, hulled and quartered)
  • 1/4 avocado, diced
  • small handful organic cashews, oven- roasted
  • soft- boiled organic, free range egg
  • organic extra virgin coconut oil, Himalayan sea salt and cayenne pepper, to taste

Put the water in a saucepan over high heat and bring to a boil.

Add the buckwheat groats and stir. When it comes to a boil again (it shouldn't take long), cover the saucepan and reduce the heat to low. Leave for about 12 minutes - stir occasionally to prevent the groats from sticking to the base of the saucepan and burning.

In a bowl, combine the baby spinach, cubed feta, pumpkin seeds, hemp seeds, flaxmeal, avocado, sweet potato and roasted cashews.

Carefully cut the kernels off the corn cob and add them to salad.

Use a fork to fluff up the cooked buckwheat, then add to the salad. Season with Himalayan sea salt, cayenne pepper and a drizzle of coconut oil, then toss well.

Top with a soft- boiled egg. Break the yolk over the salad and then enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment