Monday 22 April 2013

a raspberry & coconut cacao loaf

I'm a morning person.

No, I tell a lie. I'd like to think that I am a morning person, but the truth is the only time I get out of bed without complaining (endlessly) is when I have an exciting breakfast to look forward to.

Autumn has certainly arisen in Melbourne ("Spring has sprung", "Autumn has arisen" - get it? Clever, right? Ah, never mind) and whatever I'm having as my first meal of the day has got to be tempting if it's going to lure me out of the warmth and comfort of my bed.

A yummy green smoothie will often do the trick (and you can follow me on instagram @the_change_room if you'd like to see some of the concoctions I make), but there are definitely mornings when I prefer something that isn't semisolid. Recently, my non- semisolid- breakfast cravings have been satisfied by this raspberry & coconut cacao loaf.

In addition to it being fragrant and tasty, it also boasts these benefits -
  • gluten free
  • dairy free
  • vegetarian
  • no refined sugar
  • no artificial colours, flavours or preservatives
  • low fructose & low in carbohydrates
  • high in protein, high in fibre & high in good fats
  • low glycaemic index
  • predominantly organic ingredients
  • diabetes & hypertension friendly
So in summary, it - like all of our products and recipes - is stamped with the change room's seal of approval. I hope it gets your stamp, too.

Try it by itself, try it toasted and then slathered with some organic tahini and sprinkled with some shredded coconut, try it toasted in a sandwich with some nut butter, or try it with a mug of steaming hot tea. Just try it. And let's see if we can make you a morning person, now that Autumn has arisen.

raspberry & coconut cacao loaf
makes 1 loaf


  • 2 cups hazelnut meal
  • 3/4 cup organic flaxmeal
  • 1/2 cup organic coconut flour
  • 1/2 cup finely dessicated coconut
  • 1/2 cup organic shredded coconut
  • 1/2 cup organic coconut palm sugar - you may want to use 3/4 cup instead, but I prefer it this way so that I can enjoy a greater variety of toppings
  • 1/4 cup organic raw cacao powder
  • 1 tbsp gluten free baking powder
  • 2 tsp xanthan gum
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • small pinch Himalayan sea salt
  • 4 eggs
  • 3/4 cup organic coconut milk
  • 1/4 cup organic extra virgin coconut oil, melted
  • 2 tsp organic vanilla extract
  • 1 heaped cup frozen organic raspberries

    Preheat the oven to 200 degrees C.

    In a large mixing bowl, combine the dry ingredients (i.e. the hazelnut meal, flaxmeal, coconut flour, dessicated coconut, shredded coconut, coconut sugar, cacao powder, baking powder, xanthan gum, baking soda and sea salt).

    Break the eggs over the dry ingredients, then add the coconut milk, melted coconut oil and vanilla extract. Mix well. My wonderful boyfriend gave me a Kitchenaid mixer for my birthday this year (lovingly named "Merlot", because it's red), so I use that to do the mixing, but in the past I have found a sturdy, large metal spoon and a bit of elbow grease does the trick, too.

    Please note - the mixture will not be a very wet, cohesive batter. Coconut flour absorbs moisture much like a sponge, so the batter will appear crumbly but will feel moist. If you press the base of a spoon against the mixture and drag it, it should leave a firm, intact 'trail'.

    Break up any clumps of frozen berries before scattering them over the mixture. Fold several times.

    Use a large metal spoon to plop a few spoonfuls of mixture into the base of a silicon loaf pan - I imagine a well greased metal loaf tin would work just as well.

    The consistency of the batter means you cannot simply pour or scoop it into the pan and expect an intact loaf to rise. Use the base of the metal spoon to press the mixture very firmly down and into the very corners of the loaf pan. The batter should look firm and smooth. Continue with the remainder of the batter. The pan should be very tightly- packed.

    Bake for 30 minutes before covering securely with a sheet of aluminium foil. Bake for a further 20-25 minutes. It should sound hollow when you tap the top of the loaf. Leave in the loaf pan for 10 minutes before turning it onto a cooling rack, and wait until the loaf has completely cooled before slicing.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment